Thursday, April 17, 2008

Birds and Pear Paintings in progress

Working with pears over the past few weeks. Lots of play with color and form. The canvas I chose is 8" x 16". I like working on the elongated rectangular form. Still working on building up volume while capturing the characteristics of each pear. This piece was create on the last day of my acrylics class over at Artascope Studios in South Portland with Liz Prescott. She is a fantastic teacher and I have learned so much in such a small amount of time. I look forward to the weekly critiques and dialogue about the work. I am looking forward to building my studio where I will have space to work on a few pieces at a time and go bigger!

The birds painting started as a still life of the same pears painting shown above. Pears with stacked books. My still life was edging on realism and not very interesting, so I let go and started painting from the gut and there you have it.

No comments: